Thursday 25 November 2010

MATURING GREYS FULLY

Hello People of Blog land!


My first greys came when i was just 16 years of age....albeit a few strands but grey none the less!

By the time i hit my 20s i had started colouring my hair to disguise the grey. My late mother used to (Dye) her hair...nasty business with the little pot, brush old towel and black dye around her hair line and most of her ears. She had only one colour available to her...that's right BLACK!. It went everywhere....and i was only 10 or so years old....so i tended to associate grey hair with getting really old. Hence my struggle.....(though i obviously didn't realise it at the time).

I have now decided to bow out of the colouring my locks altogether as i and only i have allowed it to become the bane of my life thus far. At one time i was colouring every 4 weeks then i tried stretching out as far as 5.5 weeks (which was as far as i could stand it once upon a time).

Anyway fast forward to present day if you please. So far i haven't coloured my hair in 9.5 weeks (get me....mmme) and you know what??????? It ain't that bad! Am not as grey as i imagined i was....don't get me wrong, i am 80% grey and almost white especially on the crown area.....the back is just turning grey which is a good thing in my book......it will hopefully blend in nicely at the point which i decided to stop colouring. Mmmmme

People are funny....they look but don't say anything now.....i can just imagine what they are thinking. Ask me, if i am bothered???.....HELL NO!

The only thing am wondering is........WHY THE HELL HAVE I BEEN STRESSING MYSELF STUPID ALL THESE YEARS AND ESPECIALLY SINCE HAVING MY MICRO LOCKS INSTALLED?

Sorry, don't have an answer to that one........the mind boggles!

There have been times when i just wanted to start over....you know another big chop!!! If am being honest what brought all of this 'no more colour' on are HEALTH issues.... Eczema to be precise coupled with intense urge to SCRATCH myself to smithereens!!!!!!!

Am on top of it now with the help of my G.P. and Calendula creams and lotions to soothe the skin topically.

I have always said that i will forgo colouring my hair when am good and ready. Guess now is the time.....the thing is i am strangely at peace with the whole thing. I don't have anymore issues with the subject.

Guess what i noticed in the 9.5 weeks of not colouring......new hair growth around the front edges of my hair....wooopppppyyyyyy!!!

SSSHHHIISSH: Want to know another secret???? Am looking forward to more greys...am soo going to work it....with your support of course. ; o

8 comments:

TheNerd said...

go ahead with your bad self! Be proud!!!

Ro said...

Blessings Nubian1, it looks like acceptance is on your horizon. From one grey head to another.

janel said...

go 'head on mamma, you silver fox you! i love my silver, too--every once in a while i'll do a henna just to bring out the natural red highlights in my hair, but i am so totally down with my grey/silver hair! badge of honor and wisdom and as another friend told me--"God's bling!" here's a posting to my blog that you might enjoy reading that goes along with this subject: http://www.levelsofbeauty.com/2010/05/on-going-gray.html

JUST Euphoria said...

last week whilt I was getting my re- tight there was a newbie with 100% gray & her locks were a beautiful grey, so much so I hope mines grey beautiful, so congrats to moving forward

anthia-ofo said...

Hey your greys look good IMO! I want a clearer pic than that though LOL

Bajan Lily said...

Yeah!What she said :)

Nubian1 said...

Oooooh what support!

I should have done this sooner.....guess i wasnt in the right frame of mind. Still better late than never. I will post pictures i the time goes by...its another turn in the road for me.

Thank you ladiiiiieeeees!!

Angel Locs said...

Hey Sista Twin...

I am ever so proud of you, as Janel stated for accepting your "God Bling" and your decision to not color any longer. As for me I guess I am not yet ready to embark on that horizon, although I have beautiful silver/grey..just haven't reached that level of maturity yet...maybe in another 10 years God willing...lol..

Like you I started greying early in life, I think I was around 12 yrs old when I notice two strands of grey hair..my daughter (youngest) follows my footsteps..

Much love to my grey sister who have looked of the horizon and color no more...

Your looking good as always...