Wednesday 11 February 2009

IMPROVISED LOCKING TOOLS

To the left is a 'blunt yarn needle' which I expanded using a pair of scissors and you can see the mark i made, where am going to have it professionally cut.

Next in line is the a 'bodkin' which I have reduced in length and bounded with a masking tape. The problem with the bodkin is that it catches the hair, though advantages is that the metal can be cut easily...and if am honest, all that masking tape...just annoying as the more you use it the more it gets sticky and yes you can imagine the rest....blah blah blah.

Finally to the right is a 'kids plastic yarn needle' which ironically, has a sharp end to it...being plastic it is very easy to manipulate, took me less than 2 minutes to get it the way i wanted. I also used it last night to retighten some of my locks...it was great....all i had to worry about is not latching two locks together! (which i did several times, in the end i had to get my son to rescue me from them)

The local needle craft shop retails these little babies above (Blunt yarn needle with a large eye) at 89 pence for two in a pack!
And these little kiddy ones above at 49pence. They are great but I can't imagine they will last long. Think of it this way, you can buy loads, trim them and at least if you loose one you won't go ape sh*t 'cos they cost so much!! (food for thought there folks!)

You're probably wondering why not just go out there and purchase these tools. Great question:

1) To purchase the Nappy loc tool from the USA will more or less cost double for those of us who reside here in the United Kingdom....Anthia -Ofo would testify to that!! http://ofoslocs.blogspot.com/search?q=ordering+tools (Am not prepared to do that..)

2) I was about to purchase a Lock Key from my Consultants website (see side bar..CammaLocks) and for some reason i wasn't able to make the payments having tried 3 times or so. I will i suppose as some point purchase one if by any chance my consultants have some in stock when i go for my retightening this Friday. (mental note: Ask Marie for LockKey!)

3)Well i took it as a sign and decided not to reinvent the wheel and see what I could manipulate to do the same work.

11 comments:

new2locs said...

Good luck on this one! I'm not one to take on the task of retightening my own hair. I can just imagine the mess I would make marrying locks together! LOL Not only that but I couldn't bear the pain from holding my arms in some ungodly position. I commend you for taking on this task because I just can't do it! LOL

Nubian1 said...

I have plenty of incentive to keep me straying from 'not doing my own hair':

1)The money
2)The money (in form or fuel)
3)Not being dependent
4)Oh yeah...The money...did i already mention that??

Seriously more than the money its got to be that i dont panic when my consultant cant see me. Besides i have always been a DIY girl!! he he he

Anonymous said...

I have a yarn needle, but I am slow using it. I like my crochet hook. For me, it is easier to use.

Take Care~

Nubian1 said...

Queen Li:

I guess we all have to find what works for us all. What works when the hair is short may not work so well at various lengths etc etc.

That's the beauty of this blog thing.....ideas are swimming about.

Naturally Sophia said...

Necessity is the mother of invention, I have even tried a crochet hook with holes drilled in it. LOL! I like the nappy locs tool buyt I seemed to have misplaced it. It is easy to lose it.

hybiscus said...

I would like to purchase the tool to retighten my sisterlocks. I have have read about a lot of retightening tools but I am not sure if there are for sisterlocks. Could someone please help me on the name and places where I purchase the tool. I ask my locktician to show me how to tighten my hair inbetween visits and she just laugh at me. Thanks for your help.

anthia-ofo said...

I tried to purchase a loc-key too - got the same problem, it wouldnt go through. BTW, how/where do you get a yarn needle cut? I'd like to shorten mine.

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Ha,Ha,Ha!!! Nubian! That is so ironic! Two great minds do think alike!I started with the latching tool in my 2nd mo when I began DYI until my NL tool arrived. The NL tool eye, would not slide through my last rotation, so I tried the plastic needle because the eye was a little smaller. I carry my tools in a small mesh zippered Lancome pouch that I received one christmas with some Lancome make up. What happened? I still lost my NL tool :(

Sanaa Lareyna said...

Hi!
I'm a student from the US studying in Leeds, UK right now and I have had Sisterlocks for a year and a half. I recently lost my tool (which is one that I have never seen anyone else with and my consultant had never seen) that I got from a friend that worked perfectly. The lock-key tool was EXTREMELY expensive (mostly because of the USD to GBP exchange rate) and the nappylocks tool would take forever to ship and in the end also be expensive. I just wanted to say thanks for this post, it helped me more than you'll know. Also, where do you get your locks retightened? I'm way up north in Leeds (w. Yorkshire)and can't find any consulatants.

Unknown said...

I use the wool/yarn needle to retighten my hair and it is great and inexpensive. 79p for 2.

Tash....Walsall

Unknown said...

I use the wool/yarn needle to retighten my hair and it is great and inexpensive. 79p for 2.

Tash....Walsall